- 2 pheasants
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 celery rib, quartered
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 jar whole onions, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 jar (2 ounces) sliced pimentos, drained
- Pastry for a single-crust pie
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, place pheasants, water, quartered onion, celery and garlic; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60 minutes or until tender. Remove meat, cool. Debone and set aside. Strain broth, discarding vegetables.
Measure 3 1/2 cups broth and place in a saucepan. Add lemon juice, salt, pepper, Worchestershire sauce and nutmeg. Remove 1/2 cup and stir in flour. Bring broth in saucepan to a boil.
Add flour mixture; boil 1 minute or until thickened and bubbly. Add the whole onions, peas, carrots, pimentos, and pheasant; mix well. Spoon into a 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
Roll pastry to fit dish; place over meat mixture and seal edges to dish. Cut small steam vents in crust. Bake at 425 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or golden brown.